Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Best Homemade Face Scrub Ever!


I've tried many different scrubs through the years but I continue to come back to my basic scrub created in my own kitchen.  As my readers know, I have struggled with acne and now that I am 43 years old,  I battle dull, dry skin that threatens to crack at any moment!  Unfair, right?

My brown sugar/powdered milk scrub works well all by itself,  but when I need a little extra "Ka-Pow!!!" I add different ingredients to meet my skin's needs.  I love that in my scrub's base form, it travels well, stores well and can be used a scoop at a time in the shower by just mixing with a little water.  It is simple to make, inexpensive and still beats the pants off of every other commercial face scrub I've ever tried!  You, too, can make this scrub in your own kitchen (or someone else's kitchen if you are away from home) in a jiffy!  No-Fuss!  (I promise!) 

1) Mix by hand or in your food processor 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of powdered milk. Blend well.

This will be your base scrub.   2) Put it in an airtight container and use as needed.  I like to mix approximately 1 Tbsp with a tsp or so of water to make an effective scrub.  It works well as a body scrub too!


3) For a more moisturising scrub, try mixing with extra virgin olive oil.  If you have acne don't be  afraid of using oils to cleanse and moisturize.  Studies show that the property "squalene" found in oils in general is an antioxidant, moisturizer and a convenient vehicle to carry other properties in topical applications.  It has shown promise for acne and dermatitis sufferers.

For an excellent anti-aging and anti-bacterial addition mix yogurt in with your base scrub. Yogurt contains lactic acid which helps to exfoliate your skin, soften wrinkles and unplug clogged pores.

Buttermilk is another valuable addition as it is very high in lactic acid.  My great-grandmother used buttermilk daily and had beautiful skin even in her old age.

Commercial "Alpha-hydroxy" skin treatments usually contain both lactic acid and glycolic acid.
Brown sugar provides the glycolic acid and milk products are rich in lactic acid. This scrub contains both, leaving your skin soft and supple in the most natural way possible.

Try your own combinations and decide which one works the best for you.  Adapt to your skin's ever-changing
needs without breaking your pocketbook! The base scrub also makes a great gift!

For other great homemade skin care recipes, check out the following ~

Feed Your Face: Over 80 Natural Skin Care Recipes for Homemade Facial Masks for All Skin Types. (Natural Beauty Recipes)

Natural & Organic Beauty Recipes - A Complete Guide on Making Your Own Facial Masks, Toners, Lotions, Moisturizers, & Scrubs at Home with Simple & Easy Organic Skin Care Recipes

Organic Body Care Recipes: 175 Homemade Herbal Formulas for Glowing Skin & a Vibrant Self

For those of you who do not wish to make your own skin care, check out Perfectly Posh by Poppyjuice to see commercially prepared products using only naturally based ingredients.  Luxurious pampering products with all of the good and none of the bad!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! Please remember to keep your comments clean and kind. Have a great day!