Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Updates on ALL My Homemade Cleaning Supplies

Vinegar Orange Peel Cleaner
A little over two months ago, I began a quest to find homemade cleaning supplies.  I wanted to give an update on how these concoctions are working for me.  
Some recipes I am still thrilled with, some....not so much....


Homemade laundry soap

The first recipe that I made was homemade laundry detergent.  I have now made my third batch (just yesterday).  I am absolutely thrilled with this recipe!  It cleans every bit as well as any commercial detergent I've purchased and the money savings is HUGE.  

One recipe makes 2 gallons which is just the right amount of detergent to wash all of our laundry for a month.  We are a family of eight PLUS we have a daycare.  One recipe costs $1.40 (or $0.69 per gallon).  For an average sized family I would think this recipe would make enough to last at least 2 months. 

Homemade fabric softener

The next recipe that I tried was homemade fabric softener. Although the softener softened and reduced static cling, it didn't have a strong enough scent for me and was very watery.  I felt that it took up a lot of space in my laundry room cabinet.  So I discontinued using it and came up with a slightly different version of my own.

Homemade fabric softener in jars

The slightly different version was a little more concentrated and definitely had a stronger scent.  I really liked it as it works and is very economical.  I would probably continue to use it however........our two year old baby doll started to break out in hives.  We aren't sure that it is the softener but to err on the side of caution, I wanted to stop using softener all together.   

Now, to soften and ELIMINATE static cling, I am using 2 tightly rolled up balls (approximately the size of a golf ball) in the dryer.  I simply throw the balls into the dryer with the wet clean clothing and press start!  For a family with sensitive skin, I would promote this as a PERFECT softening and static cling reducer!  I found this information on Fake It Frugal

Homemade orange peel scrub
Next, I made homemade orange peel scouring powder.  I liked the concept and the cost savings.  It smells lovely but works only moderately well with a LOT of elbow grease.  It did take stains such as coffee and tea out of my sink but didn't take the pan scratches out.  I would use this scouring powder as a back up or on pans, but I am back to using my Comet. 

Homemade dishwasher detergent
The Truly Amazing Dishwasher Detergent was what I thought would be my biggest discovery.  

I was intensely happy with the clean state of my dishes after using this recipe.  No spots, no film, just clean dishes.  For about a month, I thought I'd found the magic bullet of dishwasher detergent.  Then for some unknown reason, my dishes began to have a slight film on them, and much to my dismay....my glasses had SPOTS!!!!  

I found a reasonable solution by filling only one of the detergent dispensers, the pre-wash dispenser.  As long as I do this AND remember to use vinegar as a rinse aid, my dishes are coming out acceptably clean.  I am speculating that by filling both compartments, I was just using too much.  My little "cheapie" dishwasher didn't have adequate time to rinse the last detergent application off.  

I did purchase some citric acid (Lemi-shine, I believe) and will add a little to the mix next time (as indicated in the recipe that I found on DIY Natural).  

All in all, I'm still happy with the effectiveness and cost savings and will continue to use the dishwasher detergent.  I just might not call it "Truly Amazing".  Perhaps, "Effective and Inexpensive" would be a more fitting name.

Vinegar Orange Peel Cleaner
Lastly, I made a Vinegar Orange Peel Household Cleaner.  It was simple to make, inexpensive and really seemed to work equally well on all surfaces, including glass.  

After using it for several weeks, I have come to the conclusion that it is a keeper!  It still cleans glass (including windows), surfaces and has a nice (orange and vinegar) smell!  I like that it is safe enough to drink, especially since I have small children.  I will probably still use bleach to clean toilets but this all purpose cleaner is great for many other things.  I think it would be effective as a vegetable wash and even as a rinse aid in the dishwasher.  

I hope this update is helpful.  There are links to the original articles within my reviews and I'll be sure to place a link in the original postings to this update.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. What kind of washing machine do you have to handle that much abuse??

      Delete
    2. It does kind of look like split pea soup doesn't it? I have a "Roper" (the cheap version made by Maytag, I believe). And abuse is a great word for what every machine in our house must endure with all these kiddos running around! We definitely put everything to the test!

      Delete
  2. Bookmarked this. Thank you!
    I have found that plain vinegar in the rinse cycle seems to remove most all static in the dryer. And since I don't like smelly things (vinegar doesn't bother me and neither do pickles) it works for me. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Vinegar does rank as one of my all time favorite items for the home! It seems to have so many great uses!

      Delete
  3. Going to have to try some of these recipes soon - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Poppy. I had the same problem with my scouring powder. It cleaned everything but the pan streaks from my white porcelain sink. I added some Oxi-clean powder to my mix and voila! White and shiny. My scrub is just borax, baking soda, oxi-clean (4:4:1)and whatever essential oils appeal to me the day I make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      A million thanks for the tip! I will definitely have to try your recipe! I love the concept of mine (found it on Crunchy Betty) but don't want to see pan streaks.

      Have a great day! I hope you'll stop back by soon!

      Delete
  5. I've bookmarked this lovely post! Thank you so much.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are certainly ambitious projects. I like the smell of oranges and our windows are in dire need of cleaning - inside & out - so I think I'll whip up a batch of your Vinegar Orange Peel Household Cleaner and give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolynn! I hope you enjoy cleaning windows more than I do! THAT sounds like an ambitious project. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Hi Poppy,

    I am busy making a batch of your lovely sounding orange and vinegar cleaner. Do you dilute it in water when you use it? Thanks and have a beautiful week - Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline! I do dilute it in water, usually 1/3 orange and vinegar mixture and 2/3 water. Sometimes I make it a little stronger, closer to 50/50. But inevitably, I end up adding a little more water to make it go farther.

      Thanks for stopping by, Pauline! Have a lovely day!

      Delete
    2. I'm a newbie to the DIY world, what kind of vinegar do you use?

      Delete
    3. Austin Emery, I just use plain ol' white vinegar. Sorry for the delay in response! My Google Chrome has been goofy for a while and left me unable to view my blog OR craigslist!!!! AGGGHHHH!!!!

      Delete
  8. I read your blog entry on the orange vinegar and decided to give it a go. I'll let you know how it goes once it sits for those couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! Please remember to keep your comments clean and kind. Have a great day!